Tuesday 3 January 2012

Home made

Vegetable broth has a special place in my heart, my nanny Murray made the tastiest soup in the world.  However I had never really tasted it properly until I was around 11.  I didn't like vegetables, so she would strain them out for me and give me the broth with some potatoes in the middle.  I was often mocked as nanny's favourite by my family at the dinner table, as nanny was a strict lady.  I don't think she was spoiling me, she just wanted to make sure I got the goodness of the broth.

Nanny would sometimes use the chicken left over from the carcass, if I am adding chicken I use boneless skinless chicken thighs.  She would get her vegetables from the green grocers all wrapped up in newspaper and at home she would chop them all herself, this is an important part of making a tasty soup, when you chop your own veg the kitchen fills with the smell and the soup is much fresher, I use scissors for the greens, it doesn't take long at all.  I don't like barley so I leave it out, sometimes I add red lentils to fill the soup out a little.  About an hour before the soup is ready to be served I add a tin of condensed chicken soup, and that my friends is it.

Vegetable broth is something that I think every household can rely on

Young children can get some wholesome goodness and a memory :)
Teens have an unprocessed snack that they can reheat themselves, after school etc
Twentysomethings can freeze small bags of soup to take to work, more pennies for nights out
Thirtysomethings+ can enjoy their soup and feel good about it helping their slimming goals - maybe that's just me!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks deelich.....would love a bowl right now