Monday 9 January 2012

Customer Service

Now before I start into my rant lets be clear that in any business there are going to be problems, the item you ordered hasn't arrived into store, the hotel has overbooked etc etc

I am not the type of person to get hot under the collar about these things, and usually the company does their best to address the problem and make you the client feel valued to ensure you will return and spend more of your hard earned £

However today I came up against an argumentative patronising employee, who wouldn't admit his team messed up, accused me of lying, and then - this is my pet hate - he refused to work with another dept of his business to resolve my problem, and told me to contact them myself.  Again let me stress that I do understand that in lots of businesses especially retail stores the shop staff cannot access information to resolve the problem, but this would not have been an issue for Mr Patronising, he simply didn't want to take responsibility for the problem, deal with it and ensure that I, the client was happy.

So now Mr Patronising has made this simple problem, a nightmare.

So when a customer approaches you with a problem, gives you all the information, and explains very clearly what they need to happen next, please either do what is necessary asap, or lift the phone and speak to your customer, explain the options, apologise and make a plan to resolve the issue.  Do not ignore them for a week and then when they call to follow up call them a liar, talk over them and be aggressive, this only makes the situation horrible, and makes me the client wonder why they give you thousands of pounds every year.

Be nice to your clients, or soon, they will be someone elses!

Chelle

2 comments:

Catherine. said...

I totally agree. I worked in retail for years and would never have dreamed of being rude to a customer- if I couldn't help them I'd try my best to find someone who could. It's horrible leaving a shop feeling patronised and put down. xo

chelle said...

Would you believe this was business to business.