Tuesday 17 January 2012

Education Evolving and Exfoliation

What a weird title, let me explain.  I am a beauty therapist, and education is very important to me, this is one of the reasons I decided to train at a private college where outside examiners come in and observe students working under exam conditions, imagine for a moment doing a busy 8 hour day with an examiner looking over your shoulder and asking you in depth questions all while you are maintaining a professional environment in front of your client, its stressful, but I do have a sense of achievement knowing that I was tested and proved myself.


When a newly trained ITEC / CIDESCO therapist leaves college they do so with a huge knowledge of the human body and the detailed workings of electrical salon equipment and off they go to do what they love to do, which is make people feel good in their own skin.


The problem comes when a therapist thinks they know it all, don't get me wrong I do know it all about the products that I use and the equipment that I use along side them, this is because I have not stopped learning and evolving as a therapist, I attend classes at least every month on subjects from skin, massage, nails and waxing etc.  But I do not know it all about what is coming next in terms of ingredients, techniques, trends and new equipment and this is the reason that I have made a promise to both myself and my business to stay educated by attending classes every month of every year.


Now were does exfoliation come into all of this, well in my experience this is where most clients are going wrong, the skin care world has moved on a lot from scrubbing our faces with crushed apricot kernels (though granular scrubs are beneficial for younger very oily skins).  Get into your local professional salon and find out about lactic acid, salicylic acid, rice bran and lots of other goodies.

No comments: